Install Pentaho Data Integration / Kettle on Mac OS 2022. Or also Fix Repository not shown issue.
After I faced many problems thought installing pentaho I decided to write this article to help everyone who needs to install this ETL tool.
Remove old Versions
First, remove every old installation:
- Remove the app from the application folder
2. Remove old files from your user directory .m2 .pentaho .kettle .swt folders. Those can be found for example here: /Users/maxmustermann/.swt/
Now we have a clean Mac. And we can start at the beginning.
Pentaho Installation and start
- Download the zip from here:
Pentaho from Hitachi Vantara
Download Pentaho from Hitachi Vantara for free. End to end data integration and analytics platform. Pentaho tightly…
2. Unzip the file on your location for example on your application folder.
3. Now your application folder should look something like this:
4. Now we need to install Java 8 via the Terminal.
5. Therefore open the terminal.
6. Execute the following command:
brew install — cask adoptopenjdk8
I already have it this is why it is saying re-install.
7. Afterwards we need to switch our current terminal session to this Java version therefore follow the following steps. Execute:
Make a note of the new installed java version in this case -> 1.8.0_292
8. Switch the Java version of the current Terminal window with:
export JAVA_HOME=`/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.8.0_292`
9. Check if you are really on the Java 1.8 with:
10. Important now is that you don’t close this window, where you set your Java 1.8 version. Because here we need to execute the Pentaho script inside our application with the following command:
Now you can use pentaho. The next time you want to start pentaho you only need to switch to Java 1.8 and execute the spoon.sh script. Here is a shortcut:
export JAVA_HOME=`/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.8.0_292` && /Applications/data-integration/spoon.sh
A note on the side you can also just save this in a start.sh script inside of your data-integration folder and double click on the script if you want to start Pentaho. This would make it easier. But I will leave that to you.
It took some time to figure the problem of the java version out. Soo let me know what you think and I hope the article helped you. Happy coding!